On this page...
"FreeAXP™ puts an Alpha on your laptop for free!"
Avanti and FreeAXP have been tested installing, booting, and running the following O/S.
Tru64 & Digital UNIX
FreeAXP is tested under the following 64-bit Microsoft operating systems.
FreeAXP™ - A Free Virtual Alpha
Try Avanti™ Virtual Alpha for Free!
FreeAXP is a free Avanti™ Virtual Alpha technology demonstrator. It provides a virtual AlphaServer 400 equipped with 1 CPU, 128MB memory, 7 disk drives, two NICs, and two virtual serial ports. It is hosted on Microsoft Windows 64-bit operating systems. Usage is unrestricted. FreeAXP provides unlimited deployment of virtual Alpha environments without commitment to purchase products or services.
Virtual Alpha's developed using FreeAXP are fully compatible with Avanti. FreeAXP configurations transfer to Avanti without modification. FreeAXP is suitable to replace hobbyist and non-critical Alpha systems. Clients requiring additional performance and capabilities can easily upgrade to the more powerful Avanti product.
Virtual Alpha Bonus
Along with the benefits of replacing legacy Alpha hardware, a FreeAXP virtual Alpha provides several new options. Multiple test systems, portability, remote hosting, training environments, remote backups, and more all become options with FreeAXP that were simply impossible with legacy physical equipment.
- Binary Compatibility: Alpha application source code not required.
- Supported O/S: OpenVMS, Digital UNIX, Tru64 UNIX.
- Cost: Free for commercial & personal use!
- Registration: None required.
- Expiration: None.
- Simple: To configure and operate.
- Portability: Run a virtual Alpha on a laptop, desktop, or server.
- VM's: Supported on VMware, Microsoft Hypr-V, Oracle VirtualBox, Apple Boot Camp & others.
- Support: Free user forum or paid annual support.
FreeAXP provides the following user configurable components:
- 32 - 128MB of virtual memory
- Up to seven storage devices
- One physical CD-ROM
- Up to two NICs
- Two virtual serial ports (1 console, 1 terminal)
FreeAXP is provided free of charge without warranty or dedicated support. Commercial users requiring dedicated support can request a fee-based contract via our department or order it online via Paypal using the "Add to Cart" button above.
The FreeAXP User Forum is hosted on the OpenVMS Hobbyist web site. Use the FreeAXP forum to report issues and exchange ideas with the FreeAXP community. Migration Specialties monitors the forum. FreeAXP questions and bug reports should be filed on the forum and will be addressed as time permits. We thank the folks at OpenVMS Hobbyist for providing this service and encourage you to browse the site for OpenVMS information.
- FreeAXP™ V22.214.171.1245 - 2021/08/31 - Auto-Idle Release - This kit is 64-bit only.
- FreeAXP™ V126.96.36.1993 - 2020/12/21 - This kit is 64-bit only.
- FreeAXP™ V188.8.131.529 - 2020/08/03 - This kit is 64-bit only.
- FreeAXP™ V184.108.40.2066 - 2020/05/12 - This kit is 64-bit only.
- FreeAXP™ V220.127.116.110 - 2018/09/06 - Last standalone FreeAXP KIT & last kit with built-in 32-bit support. This kit will not run under Windows 8 or Windows 10 32-bit.
- FreeAXP™ V18.104.22.1687 - 2018/01/16 - This kit will not run under Windows 8 or Windows 10 32-bit.
- FreeAXP™ V22.214.171.1244 - 2017/07/30 - This kit will not run under Windows 8 or Windows 10 32-bit.
- FreeAXP™ V126.96.36.1998 - 2016/02/24 - This kit will not run under Windows 8 or Windows 10 32-bit.
- FreeAXP™ V188.8.131.525 - 2016/01/21 - Windows 10 64-bit Beta kit. This kit will not run under Windows 8 or Windows 10 32-bit.
- FreeAXP™ V184.108.40.2060 - 2015/04/15
- FreeAXP™ V220.127.116.113 - 2015/01/23
- FreeAXP™ V18.104.22.1688 - 2014/10/22
- FreeAXP™ V22.214.171.1241 - 2014/06/30
- FreeAXP™ V126.96.36.1997 - 2014/03/21 - Disk creation fix.
- FreeAXP™ V188.8.131.523 - 2013/10/15
- FreeAXP™ V184.108.40.2062 - 2013/06/18
- FreeAXP™ V220.127.116.114 - 2013/01/29
- FreeAXP™ V18.104.22.1683 - 2012/11/02 - Heads, Cylinders, and Sectors options added to advanced Disk options.
- FreeAXP™ V22.214.171.1245 - 2012/10/04
- FreeAXP™ V126.96.36.1992 - 2012/04/23 - 32-bit fix.
- FreeAXP™ V188.8.131.527 - 2011/06/21 - First public release!
- Virtual Alpha User Guide
- FreeAXP™ Release Notes
- FreeAXP™ User Forum - Sponsored by OpenVMS Hobbyist.
- FreeAXP™ SPD
- FreeAXP™ License
- MIM: Make Image. Provided by Enrico Granata, copyright © 2010. MIM is a command line utility that allows quick creation of container files used with virtual VAX and Alpha systems. MIM is intuitive to use. Simply run MIM at the command line to obtain usage instructions.
- mktape Utility: A utility to create virtual tapes in the SimH vtape format from real tapes using a real SCSI tape drive on a Windows-based system.
- Tru64 Disks: Provided by John Manger of Caponier Ltd., the following empty disk image files are available for download to support OSF/1 and Tru64 Unix users. These are empty RZ disk images that have been correctly formatted with appropriate Unix disk-labels. They can be used to support authentic DEC RZ-style volumes of the correct size. The canned disks facilitate migrations and early versions of OSF/1 and Tru64.