On this page...
"FreeAXP™ puts an Alpha on your laptop for free!"
Avanti and FreeAXP have been tested installing, booting, and running the following O/S.
Tru64 & Digital UNIX
- Digital UNIX V3.2C
- Digital UNIX V3.2G
- Digital UNIX V4.0B
- Digital UNIX V4.0D
- Digital UNIX V4.0E
- Digital UNIX V4.0F
- Digital UNIX V4.0G
- Tru64 UNIX V5.0
- Tru64 UNIX V5.0A
- Tru64 UNIX V5.1
- Tru64 UNIX V5.1A
- Tru64 UNIX V5.1B
- Tru64 UNIX V5.1B-5
- Tru64 UNIX V5.1B-6
- OpenVMS 6.2
- OpenVMS 6.2-1H3
- OpenVMS 7.0
- OpenVMS 7.1
- OpenVMS 7.1-1H1
- OpenVMS 7.2
- OpenVMS 7.2-1
- OpenVMS 7.3
- OpenVMS 7.3-1
- OpenVMS 7.3-2
- OpenVMS 8.2
- OpenVMS 8.3
- OpenVMS 8.4
Avanti and FreeAXP are tested under the following 64‑bit host O/S. FreeAXP will also run under 32-bit versions of these O/S.
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows Server 2003
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP
Online Purchase Policy
PayPal customers will have different online purchase limits depending on how they are paying. If the customer checks out as a guest using a debit or credit card, they will have a $2,000.00 limit for the lifetime of that card. A customer using a verified PayPal account will be able to spend up to $10,000.00 per transaction. A customer using an unverified PayPal account will have different spending limits depending on what PayPal has verified with them.
FreeAXP™ - A Free Virtual Alpha
Try a virtual Alpha without commitment.
FreeAXP is a free Avanti™ virtual Alpha technology demonstrator. It provides a virtual AlphaServer 400 equipped with 1 CPU, 128MB memory, 7 disk drives, two NICs, and two virtual serial ports. It is hosted on Windows 32-bit and 64-bit systems and includes an unrestricted usage license. FreeAXP allows unlimited testing of virtual Alpha implementation without commitment to purchase products or services.
Virtual Alphas developed using FreeAXP are fully compatible with Avanti. FreeAXP is suitable to replace hobbyist and non-critical Alpha systems. Clients requiring additional performance and capabilities should consider Avanti.
Virtual Alpha Bonus
Along with the benefits of replacing legacy Alpha hardware, a FreeAXP virtual Alpha provides several new options. Multiple test systems, portability, remote hosting, training environments, remote backups, and more all become options with FreeAXP that were simply impossible with ageing physical equipment.
- Free for commercial & personal use!
- No product registration required and no expiration date!
- Virtual OpenVMS, Digital UNIX, or Tru64 UNIX environment.
- Native 32- & 64-bit Windows host O/S support.
- Simple configuration.
- Portability: Have an Alpha available on a laptop.
- VM's: Supported on VMware, VMware vMotion, Sun VirtualBox, Apple Boot Camp & others.
- Binary compatibility: Alpha application source code not required.
- Support: Free user forum or paid annual support.
FreeAXP provides the following user configurable components:
- 32 - 128MB of virtual memory
- Up to seven storage devices
- One physical CD-ROM
- Two 100Mb NIC
- Two virtual serial ports (1 console, 1 terminal)
FreeAXP is provided free of charge without warranty or official support. Commercial users requiring official support can request a fee-based contract via our department or order it via the Paypal button above.
The FreeAXP User Forum is hosted on the OpenVMS Hobbyist web site. Use the FreeAXP forum to report issues and exchange ideas with the FreeAXP community. Migration Specialties moderates the forum and watches it for problem reports. FreeAXP questions and bug reports should be filed on the forum and will be addressed as time permits. We thank the folks at OpenVMS Hobbyist for providing this service and encourage you to browse the site for OpenVMS information.
- FreeAXP™ V22.214.171.1243
- FreeAXP™ V126.96.36.1998
- FreeAXP™ V188.8.131.521
- FreeAXP™ V184.108.40.2067 - Disk creation fix.
- FreeAXP™ V220.127.116.113
- FreeAXP™ V18.104.22.1682
- FreeAXP™ V22.214.171.1244
- FreeAXP™ V126.96.36.1993 - Heads, Cylinders, and Sectors options added to advanced Disk options.
- FreeAXP™ V188.8.131.525
- FreeAXP™ V184.108.40.2062 - 32-bit fix.
- FreeAXP™ V220.127.116.117
- Virtual Alpha User Guide
- FreeAXP™ Release Notes
- FreeAXP™ User Forum - Sponsored by OpenVMS Hobbyist.
- FreeAXP™ SPD
- FreeAXP™ License
- MIM: Make Image. Provided by Enrico Granata, copyright © 2010. MIM is a command line utility that allows quick creation of container files used with virtual VAX and Alpha systems. MIM is intuitive to use. Simply run MIM at the command line to obtain usage instructions.
- mktape Utility: A utility to create virtual tapes in the SimH vtape format from real tapes using a real SCSI tape drive on a Windows-based system.
- Tru64 Disks: Provided by John Manger of Caponier Ltd., the following empty disk image files are available for download to support OSF/1 and Tru64 Unix users. These are empty RZ disk images that have been correctly formatted with appropriate Unix disk-labels. They can be used to support authentic DEC RZ-style volumes of the correct size. The canned disks facilitate migrations and early versions of OSF/1 and Tru64.