On this page...
- Virtualizing Legacy Hardware
- OpenVMS Migration
- Refreshing VAX & Alpha Hardware
- Successful Projects
To be the best, not because we say we are, but because our customers say we are.
"I like to have around me people who find ways to do things , not tell me why they can't be done" - Olive Ann Beech, former Beechcraft CEO
- Recycle software.
We can help.
Hardware Virtualization, OpenVMS Migration
Our Mission: Preserving what it best about the past while making way for the future.
At Migration Specialties we recognize the value represented by legacy software applications. These critical applications, be they running a tooling station or an entire enterprise, are still around because they continue to effectively do a job. We provide solutions that retain the value of such applications while upgrading the underlying hardware that supports them.
Virtualizing Legacy Hardware
Many businesses depend on software applications that have been in use for years and even decades. These applications in turn rely on aging hardware ever more prone to failure. Migration Specialties provides solutions that replace legacy hardware without changing legacy software. Commonly referred to as hardware emulators, these solutions virtualize old hardware, allowing the applications it supported to be re-hosted on smaller, faster, more reliable, more energy efficient platforms. Our Virtual Systems pages will tell you more about our virtual VAX and Alpha solutions.
OpenVMS has been around for over 30 years and is still going strong. It and its associated VAX, Alpha, and Integrity processors have been our core business since our inception in 1992. If you are ready to move from a VAX or Alpha system to HP's Integrity platform, Migration Specialties has the tools and skills to help. We maintain running examples of all three platforms in-house along with a close relationship with HP's OpenVMS engineers and the OpenVMS community. Our Porting page provides details on our OpenVMS porting services.
Refreshing VAX & Alpha Hardware
Migrating software applications requires a comprehensive understanding of legacy programming languages like RPG, COBOL, and DIBOL. Migration Specialties offers a suite of products and services addressing legacy application support.
Migration Specialties has delivered many successful projects since 1992. Here are a few examples.
- BAE Systems Upgrades TMS Test Bed with Virtual HP1000
- Virtualization of an HP1000 E-Series computer running an aircraft thrust management system test bed for BAE Systems.
- Porting TRU64 UNIX on Avanti Emulator
- EZDK customer testimonial of a Tru64 UNIX port to Avanti.
- The Flanagan Story: Migration Specialties & Digital Deliver a Successful VAX DIBOL to Alpha DEC C Conversion
- Conversion of a warehouse management system written in DIBOL and running under OpenVMS to C using CBL for Flanagan Food Services.
- Hamworthy Combustion Virtualizes MicroVAX 3100
- Virtualization of an OpenVMS MicroVAX server running a legacy ERP system for Hamworthy Combustion.
- Keeping Great Legacies Alive
- Intel write-up on Avanti virtual Alpha software.
- Lockheed Martin Virtualizes Alpha DS15s with Avanti
- Virtualization of OpenVMS Alpha DS15 servers running logistics applications for Lockheed Martin.
- Peerless Virtualizes a Mandelli VMS System
- Virtualization of a VAX/VMS MicroVAX server running Mandelli process control software for Peerless Pump.
- Porting RPG: Moving a Compiler to Itanium
- Port of Migration RPG compiler to HP Integrity OpenVMS platform.
- Rio Tinto Replaces PDP-11/73s with Ospreys
- Virtualization of PDP-11/73 computers supporting a process control system for Rio Tinto.
- RPG on OpenVMS Lives On at EVMS
- Port of OpenVMS VAX RPG business applications to Migration RPG for Eastern Virginia Medical School.
- SimH VAX Emulator Virtualizes MAN Diesel VAX Applications
- Virtualization of legacy VAX/VMS cluster supporting an engine maintenance records system for MAN Diesel.
- Sarbanes-Oxley Mandate
- Reviewing and configuring OpenVMS applications to meet Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
- PDP-11 Replacement Keeps the Navy’s MSDD Spinning
- Migration Specialties keeps an important piece of U.S. Navy training equipment viable using a virtual PDP-11.